This ad is expired.
UX/UI Designer - REMOTE
Location: Silicon Valley;Remote
Job ID: 37398
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A FULLY REMOTE POSITION.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 06-27-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
The Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) is a public agency supported by 15 members (13 states, one territory and the Bureau of Indian Education). Through the work of thousands of educators, Smarter Balanced created an online assessment system aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), as well as tools for educators to improve teaching and learning. Smarter Balanced is housed at the University of California Santa Cruz (UCSC) Silicon Valley Extension.
Our work is guided by the belief that a high-quality assessment system can provide information and tools for teachers and schools to improve instruction and help students succeed - regardless of disability, language, or subgroup. We involve experienced educators, researchers, state and local policymakers, and community groups working together in a transparent and consensus-driven process.
Smarter Balanced staff have a profound commitment to UCSC's Principles of Community including embracing diversity, equity and inclusion.
UCSC Extension provides professional training that reflects the academic rigor of the University of California and the hands-on, roll-up-your-shirtsleeves practicality of Silicon Valley culture. Developed with guidance from key industry leaders and academic experts, our certificate programs match the economic demand of your industry, from engineering to business, education to bioscience. The University of California reviews and approves UCSC Extension courses and programs for academic content, merit and instructor qualifications. Many of our courses may be applied toward degree programs, or may be eligible for professional certificates and licenses
As an advocate for the end user, working closely with product teams and developers, applies skills as a seasoned user experience / user interface designer in order to bridge the gap between user, the development team and key business stakeholders to create or improve the accessibility and usability of user experiences and quality of interaction with Smarter Balanced applications. Encourages Design Thinking and able to work in environments that leverage both agile and waterfall project methodologies.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $81,600 - $114,253 / Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: University Extension, Silicon Valley
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007350 (USER EXP DESIGNER 3)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
40% - User Experience
- Provides analysis for complex user research through user needs assessment and user observation activities.
- Applies user experience design concepts to: conduct complex usability evaluations; create prototypes and wireframing, and user journeys for small to medium projects; and participates in these activities from inception of the project.
- Incorporates web accessibility best practices into the user experience design process.
30% - User Interface
- Recommends and implements design changes as specified from user research activities.
- Summarizes recommendations including approaches, trends, sources and uses.
- Designs moderately complex user interfaces and user interface components.
- May create simple to moderately complex prototypes or mock-ups demonstrating branding design, responsiveness and user interactivity.
- Designs small to medium websites and / or architectures and contributes to moderately complex to complex designs.
20% - User Research
- Utilizes user-centered and/or value-centered design best practices and participates in the user modeling process (such as personas and scenarios) using information gathered during user research.
- Working closely with product teams, may design and execute studies into user behavior and attitudes.
- Collaborates with different teams, provides guidance, analyzes both quantitative and qualitative data, presents insights that help shape long-term product strategy.
10% - Leadership
- Acts as liaison to developers of products and services to ensure technical feasibility and that designs are properly realized.
- Acts as a champion for UX and UI design and educates others in the organization on the role and value of UX and UI design.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Demonstrated experience implementing user interface design best practices and guidelines in websites and/or production software.
- Fluent in user-centered and/or value-centered design practices and guidelines for area of expertise (i.e. visual design, user journeys, interaction design, information/data visualization, user interface software).
- Skills in diagramming, prototyping and using user interface design tools (i.e. Balsamiq, Figma).
- Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate complex technical information/processes to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, empathy, passion and problem solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Basic understanding of common software architectures and IT infrastructure technologies, especially presentation layer technologies.
- Demonstrated understanding of business metrics and ability to translate company goals and objectives into digital experiences.
- Adept at handling and analyzing both quantitative and qualitative research.
- Certified ScrumMaster
- Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies
- Expert knowledge in accessible design web standards (WCAG, 508).
- Web (HTML, CSS), Wordpress and/or software development skills.
- Demonstrated experience building a UX/UI team.
- Demonstrated experience in marketing, cognitive science, psychology, economics or information science.
- Experience ensuring that organizational practices, services, and behaviors support and promote diversity among staff.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work remotely from a home office and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work occasional nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to travel when required.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency