- Technology Support Specialist
- Go to our website »
Technology Support Specialist
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 53104
PLEASE NOTE: The worksite for this position is located on the main campus. Remote work is not an option.
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 06-07-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Academic Divisional Computing staff are localized ITS staff embedded in the campus' five academic divisions who provide personalized, discipline-specific, IT support for faculty, staff and students in accomplishing the academic mission. We leverage commonalities through cross-divisional technical communities to develop and deliver right-sized/right-priced common services as appropriate, aggregating what we learn and provide as input to ITS. This position provides strategic direction, technical leadership, human and resource management to develop and deliver IT services to the Social Sciences division and its departments and programs. Incumbent works as part of a collaborative leadership team that delivers coordinated IT services to faculty across the five academic divisions and the silicon valley center.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus's centralized resource to support and amplify research, instruction, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of over 200 diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, resourceful, kind, and committed to inclusion.
ITS strives to continually improve service quality, experience, and value for our students, faculty and staff. We are deeply committed to nurturing and strengthening an organization that values equity, work-life balance, and supportive culture. Prioritizing career paths is important to us and we devote resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. We are looking for candidates who do great work from different backgrounds and practices, and who will support our aspirations to shape an increasingly diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every qualification for the position but possess transferable skills and experiences.
University of California offers competitive benefits including Medical, Dental & Vision Care Insurance Plans, University of California (UC) retirement, Paid Family Leave, and Paid Holidays plus accrued vacation and sick leave. Visit the UC benefits page for more information at UC Compensation and Benefits.
The Technology Support Specialist applies technical support to resolve hardware, software, and networking issues for the Social Sciences Division according to defined procedures and practices. They are involved in the day-to-day operations to provide desktop support & consultation, and hardware inventory, repair, and maintenance for end users. The Technology Support Specialist is a collaborative member of the Academic Services Department with a mission to optimize the use of available resources within Information Technology Services and Social Sciences in achieving the following three objectives:
1) Working with the faculty and graduate students of the division to realize their maximum potential with respect to their discipline-specific instruction and research objectives.
2) Developing and providing a stable, robust infrastructure that will support the current and expected instruction and research needs of the faculty and graduate students of the division, and its departments, research centers, and programs.
3) Developing and providing a stable, robust infrastructure that will support the current and expected administrative needs of the staff of the division, and its departments, research centers, and programs.
Budgeted Salary: $28.87 - $35.16/hour. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay..
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: TX Union
Job Code Classification: 007359 (BUS TCHL SUPP ANL 2 TX)
Travel: Never or Rarely
20% - Tier 2 Desktop Support and Consulting
- Provides support for client issues referred from the help desk including software and hardware troubleshooting, system and security updates, client training, and tutoring.
- Provides exceptional customer service and broad technical support to faculty, staff, students, and guests.
- Identifies, troubleshoots, resolves, or appropriately triages moderately complex client requests and accurately records the work in the ITS ticketing system.
- Resolves client requests through problem identification and analysis, utilizing technical expertise and documented troubleshooting procedures.
- Responds to requests for technical assistance by phone, email, in person, and/or utilizing remote assistance tools.
- Provides support for Google cloud-based services, including email and calendar, on desktop and mobile devices.
- Provides troubleshooting support for business productivity applications including Microsoft Office, Adobe products, and standard web browsers and operating systems.
- Supports networking configurations including VPN, wireless, and remote access as well as desktop and network printing issues.
- Supports Duo/MFA, password maintenance, data integrity, and file system security for the desktop environment.
- Assists users in understanding and adhering to campus policies related to ITS services including password security, restricted data protection, and workstation configuration settings.
20% - Inventory and Business Functions
- Prepares purchase requisitions as directed by faculty and administration.
- Receives, delivers and ships equipment and materials as needed.
- Enters information into spreadsheets and databases to track inventory.
- General shop maintenance tasks, including inventory, cable management, recycling, tool management, and parts and supplies ordering. General cleaning and organizing.
20% - Computing Repair
- Repairs and troubleshoots computer hardware.
- Installs upgrades and configures systems for deployment.
20% - Printer Maintenance
- Responds to printing problems, distribute and deliver printer consumables, track printer deployments, and perform inventory and deployment functions for printing devices.
10% - Documentation and Communications
- Documents operating processes and procedures to be used for training Support Center and other ITS staff.
- Prepares documentation and reference materials on solved problems, procedures frequently asked questions, and diagnostic techniques.
- Converts written work into various electronic media such as HTML and PDF.
- Develops tutorials for end-user self-learning modules on common campus systems and procedures.
- Coordinates with the ITS Communications Coordinator on publishing and maintaining web content for the ITS website.
10% - Project and Other Duties
- Participates in ITS-related projects as needed.
- Meets regularly with Support Center staff to maintain knowledge of current campus standards, current ITS processes, and ongoing IT issues.
- Participates in formal training sessions and/or conferences to enhance skills relevant to the job.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Broad knowledge of various areas of IT.
- Knowledge and recent experience in installing and configuring microcomputer hardware, operating systems, applications and peripherals, preferably some experience in multiple platform environments and with more than one operating system
- Knowledge and technical experience with remote access communications software and hardware and ability to resolve basic connectivity questions regarding modems, communications software, etc.
- Experience providing technical support in an academic environment
- Familiarity with standard business productivity software including Microsoft Office, and Google Docs.
- Demonstrated skill in problem solving and troubleshooting computer hardware, software and network connectivity.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization. Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated problem-solving skills. Ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems under time pressure with frequent interruptions and work effectively in a variety of roles with both technical and nontechnical personnel.
- Ability to learn and absorb new information both technical and procedural and disseminate the same to end-users of varying computing skills.
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work in an extremely busy environment, with frequent interruptions and still be able to prioritize and resolve conflicting user requests.
- Ability to work in a professional manner with access to confidential and other data types.
- Willingness and ability to learn new operating systems and/or application software packages.
- Apple Certified Technician (Any).
- JAMF Pro.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- The selected candidate will be required to work primarily on campus, with periods of remote work possible based on operational needs, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency