Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 37384
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 06-30-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results that foster a campus climate where employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious, kind, and deeply committed to inclusive excellence.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience, and value to our constituents. We care deeply about creating a diverse, high performing organization through recruiting while developing highly talented, well-rounded, staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant amount of resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
Academic Divisional Computing staff are localized ITS staff embedded in the campus' five academic divisions who provide personalized, discipline-specific, IT support for faculty, staff and students in accomplishing the academic mission. We leverage commonalities through cross-divisional technical communities to develop and deliver right-sized/right-priced common services as appropriate, aggregating what we learn and provide as input to ITS. This position provides strategic direction, technical leadership, human and resource management to develop and deliver IT services to the Physical and Biological Sciences (PBSci) division, its departments and programs and UC Observatories. Incumbent works as part of a collaborative team that delivers coordinated IT services to faculty and researchers across the division.
More information can be found at https://its.ucsc.edu
This position provides frontline support to research across a range of disciplines, primarily in the Physical and Biological sciences. The incumbent provides consultation services to faculty and researchers in developing IT solutions and investments that advance specific research goals in the context of campus IT infrastructure. The position requires a breadth of abilities including Windows, MacOS, Linux OS, networking, storage, software compiling, testing and installation. Applied understanding of scientific research methods and instrumentation is essential.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $73,700 - $95,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007309 (INFO SYS ANL 3)
Travel: Up to 25% of the time
- Provide primary support to faculty and research labs in all nine departments within the Physical and Biological Sciences and UC Observatories. Support servers, data acquisition machines, scientific instrumentation and desktop computers.
- Manages systems and services for a facility of moderate size comprising multiple, integrated hardware/software products.
- Makes recommendations for purchase or upgrade of new computer hardware, software and services.
- Performs moderately complex analysis to acquire, install, modify and support operating systems, software, databases, utilities and / or tools.
- Applies and manages complex security configurations.
- Work with faculty, staff and students to find and implement strategies to meet a given request.
- Consults with local teams as needed to pursue solutions.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing system and process logic issues as necessary.
- Documents complex software and processes.
- Provide secondary support for administrative computing throughout the division, including desktop computers, servers, storage and databases.
- Understands the ITS service portfolio both in terms of local and global services.
- May serve on committees and technical groups to assist in defining new services or refining old services.
- Understands and applies industry practices, community standards and department / unit policies and procedures relating to work assignments.
- Trains clients. Negotiates project plans with stakeholders.
- Applies professional and broadly defined data / information administration and data use concepts to manage and perform complex assignments.
- Independently analyzes complex information requirements and documents them using formal data definition techniques and naming standards.
ITS Security Statement
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Broad knowledge of various areas of IT.
- Demonstrated ability to install software and troubleshoot and repair moderately complex problems with computing devices, peripherals and software.
- Understanding of and experience troubleshooting client, server and peripherals-related issues.
- Advanced knowledge of computer security tools, best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing server-based software.
- Demonstrated skill at administering moderately complex security controls and configurations to computer hardware.
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent / related functions.
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Advanced skills associated with programming design, modification and implementation.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience with database administration.
- Working knowledge of database management systems and standards.
- Knowledge relating to database system design.
- Advanced database querying and modeling skills working with moderately complex databases.
- Basic knowledge of secure software development.
- Demonstrated ability to create software specifications.
- Demonstrated testing and test planning skills.
- Familiarity with data quality and governance issues and requirements.
- Experience supporting scientific faculty, researchers and their support staff.
- Lean Six Sigma.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Ability to complete various compliance and job-related training as directed.
- Incumbent may be required to work nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency