Systems Administrator 4 (0520U), SAIT 25251 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Student Affairs Information Technologies (SAIT)
SAIT provides technology leadership and support to the Division of Student Affairs; technical support, education, and hands-on learning and leadership opportunities for students; and student advocacy and engagement in campus technology development.
Our deep knowledge and understanding of our students' and staff needs, coupled with our technical expertise, makes SAIT a trusted partner, committed to an excellent student experience. Our dedication, responsiveness, and commitment equip us to meet our customers' evolving demands as we work collaboratively to serve students.
The SAIT organization consists of 30 full-time career staff and over 70 part-time student staff, distributed across Development & Operations, Strategic Initiatives, Information Security, and Student Technologies.
The Operations team within Student Affairs IT is responsible for the administration of the production environments and infrastructure that support the business needs of the Division of Student Affairs. This team is responsible for server administration, file server storage administration, database administration, active directory administration, firewall administration, networking installation and configuration, server security, system backups, and monitoring of services for availability.
The primary responsibility of the Systems Administrator is to design, build, and manage SAIT's cloud-based services as well as on-premises Microsoft server infrastructure. This position will play a critical role in migrating services from a traditional data center environment into a cloud environment as part of a larger DevOps team.
Our Approach to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
SAIT believes in and fosters a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the broader Information Systems & Technology community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
- We champion diversity.
- We act with integrity.
- We deliver.
- We innovate.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
- Applies advanced systems/infrastructure concepts to define, design and implement highly complex systems involving server operating systems, networking, firewalls, databases, and other technologies.
- Maintains hybrid on-premises and cloud-based server and DevOps environment. Relevant technologies include: VMware, Nimble SAN (storage), and Microsoft Azure.
- Conducts highly complex systems programming and systems support activities. Conducts highly complex programming tasks. Interacts with senior internal and external personnel. May lead a team of systems/infrastructure professionals.
- Participate in project teams in deployment of custom applications and vendor applications into production. Coordinates the test and QA environment.
- Supports Windows based server operating systems, including Microsoft Active Directory Group Policy Object administration. Performs daily reviews of server logs to identify potential service issues and participate in on-call rotation for emergency support.
- Supports database administration in support of the Division of Student Affairs - to include Oracle and Microsoft SQL.
- Automate redundant tasks via scripting or other tools where appropriate to increase staff availability for other projects.
- Researches, analyzes and addresses attempted efforts to compromise security protocols.
- Implements security control to prevent hackers from infiltrating campus information. Administers security policies to control access to systems.
- Proposes and implements highly complex system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system. Manages centralized servers and makes recommendations for purchase or upgrade of new server hardware.
- Directly and indirectly supervises a student team in collaboration with the Student Leadership Coordinator and the student leads; participates in the annual cycle of recruitment, hiring and training; shares responsibility for developing and sustaining a strong student leadership program.
- Maintains a positive relationship with other departments and personnel that will assist in the development, funding, promotion, and/or public relations of the Division of Student Affairs and SAIT. Supports the success and objectives of SAIT.
- Identifies and selects training opportunities for professional development. Participates in cross-functional group discussions, activities and other training efforts.
- Adheres to University and departmental policies, procedures, and professional practices as well as city, state, and federal laws. Also responsible for adherence to UC Berkeley's Data Classification Standard, Minimum Security Standards for Networked Devices and Minimum Security Standards for Electronic Information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have significant experience in IT, Systems Administration, or DevOps roles.
- Extensive experience troubleshooting and resolving complex technical and non-technical problems.
- Extensive experience managing Windows server operating systems.
- Experience managing Active Directory and Group Policies in an enterprise environment.
- Experience with on-premises enterprise system virtualization and storage (VMware and/or Nimble preferred).
- Experience with cloud-based server and application environments (Microsoft Azure preferred).
- Experience with scripting languages (PowerShell preferred).
- Knowledge of Information Security best practices.
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals.
- Working knowledge of relational database systems (Microsoft SQL or Oracle database preferred).
- Able to work autonomously or as part of a team with little supervision.
- Able to adapt to and learn new technical concepts quickly.
- Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner across the organization and at varying levels.
- Has knowledge, skills and abilities associated with problem identification and resolution.
- Has knowledge necessary to design, set-up, operate, and correct malfunctions involving application of technology systems.
- Requires knowledge of other areas of IT.
- Requires knowledge and experience managing Unix and/or Windows operating systems.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- ITIL V3 Foundations training and certification preferred.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. The annual salary range of the position is $105,000.00 - $125,000.00, commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring, and humane environment in which these values can thrive.
The minimum posting duration of this position is 14 calendar days. The department will not initiate the application review process prior to October 25, 2021
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=25251&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency