- Systems Administrator
- Go to our website »
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 50429
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 04-03-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus's centralized resource to support and amplify research, instruction, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of over 200 diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, resourceful, kind, and committed to inclusion..
ITS strives to continually improve service quality, experience, and value for our students, faculty and staff. We are deeply committed to nurturing and strengthening an organization that values equity, work-life balance, and supportive culture. Prioritizing career paths is important to us and we devote resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. We are looking for candidates who do great work from different backgrounds and practices, and who will support our aspirations to shape an increasingly diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization. We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every qualification for the position but possess transferable skills and experiences.
University of California offers competitive benefits including Medical, Dental & Vision Care Insurance Plans, University of California (UC) retirement, Paid Family Leave, Group Term Life Insurance, Legal Insurance, Pet Insurance, Paid Holidays plus accrued vacation and sick leave. Visit the UC benefits page for more information at UC Compensation and Benefits.
Academic Divisional portfolio comprises six regionally distributed teams, embedded in five academic divisions and the Silicon Valley Center. This structure recognizes that the intellectual diversity represented within our faculty is best served by services that are locally optimized and adaptive to changing needs. By standardizing on commonalities, we develop right-sized, right-priced IT services that enable growth in a resource-constrained environment. The outcome provides an aggregated description of local IT support and services that can be easily accessed by faculty and reviewed by decision-makers to inform shared investment in commonly understood requirements across the disciplines.
More information can be found at https://its.ucsc.edu/
The Systems Administrator is an experienced professional who plays an essential role in the delivery of IT services to the campus by working with Social Sciences faculty, staff, and students in support of instruction, research, and administration. This position is part of the Academic Services divisional team sharing the responsibility of systems administration and endpoint support, including the design, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of enterprise-level systems: The Primary focus of this job will be Windows System Administration and ArcGIS management in the Center for Integrated Spatial Research (CISR).
Due to the nature of this role, the incumbent will be required to regularly work on campus with limited potential for remote work opportunities.
Budgeted Salary: $83,500 - $92,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary above the posted range. The salary shown above is the budgeted range the University reasonably expects to pay.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: TX Union
Job Code Classification: 007304 (SYS ADM 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
55% - Systems Administrator
- Designs, implements, maintains and monitors multiple Windows or Mac/Linux servers and endpoints for the Division.
- Defines, designs, and implements systems, services, and technology solutions for assigned units.
- Proposes and implements system or device enhancements such as software, hardware, and network configuration, updates, and installations for projects or services of moderately complex scope.
- Implements applications and services including ZFS, NFS and Samba, OpenLDAP, MySQL, AD, complex web technologies, software license and print management, Powershell scripting, server monitoring, and backup.
- Writes and executes complex scripts and may write software in support of systems management, log analysis, and other system administration duties for multiple integrated systems
- Analyzes and tunes system performance, capacity, and functionality of complex enterprise systems.
- Evaluates, recommends, and deploys potential new technologies such as new computer hardware, software, and services.
- Documents processes, topologies, and system configurations. Maintains and updates accurate information across several systems including processes, procedures, systems, services, and tasks
- Performs analysis to acquire, install, modify and support operating systems, databases, utilities, and Internet/intranet-related tools.
- Plans, designs, and implements moderately complex system updates and rollouts.
40% - Endpoint Support
- Provides advanced technical support to other IT staff and end users, including troubleshooting, license management, and data migration.
- Consults with faculty and staff on computing and IT needs and solutions.
- Deploys computers to faculty, staff, and grad students.
5% - Security
- Interprets and adopts Information Technology Services, UCSC campus, UC Office of the President, and/or regulation-based security policies to control access to networked resources.
- Reviews methods and procedures to ensure data integrity, protection, and security standards.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Windows systems administration experience; including experience in the design, configuration, operation, repair, monitoring, and tuning of systems.
- Demonstrated Windows Server and Active Directory administration experience.
- Experience using ArcGIS products (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro) in a multi-user environment, including installation, maintenance, and licensing.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise (ArcGIS Portal, ArcGIS Server) including installation, deployment, licensing, administration, security, and maintenance.
- Significant shell scripting experience (bash, sh, Powershell, etc).
- Knowledge of the design, development, and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly technical team with both technical clients and non-technical users.
- Self-motivated and works independently, as well as part of a team with the ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience writing and editing complex scripts used to perform system maintenance and administration.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise (ArcGIS Portal, ArcGIS Server) including installation, deployment, licensing, administration, security and maintenance.
- Experience with VMWare.
- Advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing servers.
- Familiarity with storage technologies such as ZFS and/or CephFS.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- The selected candidate will be required to work primarily on campus, with periods of remote work possible based on operational needs, and be able to fulfill requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as directed.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency