Independently perform advanced troubleshooting and administration of infrastructure systems. Role may focus on one or more technical area. Typically work as part of a team to implement IT solutions to complex business problems. Participate in projects.
The Center for Biostatistics in AIDS Research (CBAR) is a large, high-profile research center located within the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. The Center is comprised of over 120 statisticians, programmers, research scientists, faculty and staff. The CBAR provides statistical analysis for the world's largest network of AIDS Clinical Researchers. The Systems Administrator position is part of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health Infrastructure Team within the Department of Information Technology, providing state of the art computational expertise to the CBAR.
The System Administrator will collaborate with other members of the Infrastructure Team, maintaining and administering Linux, Windows, and VMware computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software and all configurations. The System Administrator will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing systems security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware. The System Administrator will also be involved in an exciting new project involving the planning and orchestrating of disaster recovery, compliance, and security solutions for the CBAR computing environment. This is the ideal time for a person who enjoys planning, coordinating and implementing systems and security measures in order to protect data, software and hardware.
The System Administrator will also monitor the performance of, create accounts for, and manage access to the CBAR computing environment, and will be responsible for performing routine system startup and shutdown procedures, applying patches, and performing updates and upgrades to maintain a stable environment (including performing data back-ups and disaster recovery operations). Lastly, this position will provide assistance in troubleshooting and resolving user/server issues in a timely manner with proper documentation. This includes working directly with users to solve computing problems.
Please note that this position requires schedule flexibility to work longer hours when implementing and evaluating technology and, as necessary, to troubleshoot and resolve problems. This includes maintenance one Saturday each month. Commitment to customer service, experience and/or comfort working in a demanding, fast-paced environment, keeping abreast of industry trends and changes in technologies, team-orientation and flexibility are all attributes of a successful applicant to this position.
PLEASE NOTE: Certifications in Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) and MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator) are preferred. The finalist will be required to obtain these certifications, if they do not have them prior to hire, within 6 months of employment (unless additional time is deemed required). This will be paid for by the hiring department.
PLEASE NOTE: Until our return to campus and full operational status, which is still to-be-determined, this interview process and position will take place in a modified manner – including virtual interviews, remote onboarding, and remote work.
Typical Core Duties
- Participate fully in the build, configuration and documentation of IT infrastructure
- Maintain and support IT infrastructure, ensuring adherence to standards and service level objectives
- Monitor and troubleshoot IT infrastructure
- Analyze and report on performance metrics
- Implement and support robust and secure IT solutions
- Draw on relationship and technical skills to act as technical liaison to internal and external stakeholders
- Support and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to establishment of best practices
- Abide by and follow the Harvard University IT technical standards, policies and Code of Conduct
- Minimum of two years' post-secondary education and/or relevant work experience
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- 5+ years of related IT experience, including 3+ years in systems, preferred
- Experience with Windows, VMware, and Linux Systems Administration, including troubleshooting and maintenance, preferred
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting virtual server environments preferred
- Experience performing routine server startup and shutdown procedures, apply patches, updates and upgrades to maintain a stable environment, as well as have the ability to perform data back-ups and disaster recovery operations preferred
- Experience with planning, coordinating, and implementing systems security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware preferred
- Experience monitoring and responding to failed back-ups, critical server errors and user issues during off hours preferred
- Experience working independently and multi-tasking preferred
- Experience writing and understanding technical documentation preferred
- Experience in the following programs preferred:
- Red Hat Linux, NFS and SMB/CIFS
- Microsoft Windows Server and Active Directory
- VMware Horizon Suite and vSphere
- Microsoft Windows 10 & Office Suite
The following is a list of preferred training/certifications:
- RHCSA - Red Hat Certified System Administrator
- MCSA - Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
PLEASE NOTE: The finalist will be required to obtain these certifications, if they do not have them prior to hire, within 6 months of employment (unless additional time is deemed required). This will be paid for by the hiring department.
- Occasionally required to work outside of normal business hours, and may be called during off hours
- Occasionally required to lift objects (~50 pounds)
- Harvard University requires pre-employment reference checks and background screenings.
- This position has a 90 day orientation and review period.
- The Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health does not provide visa sponsorship for administrative and staff positions.
The Harvard T.H. Chan of Public Health is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – including fostering respect for all, serving the greater good, and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. To learn more about the Chan School's mission, objectives, and core values, please visit our website here.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off:3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision:We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement:University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program:Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation:Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options:Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
USA - MA - Boston
I0957P IT Infrastructure Prfsnal III
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Criminal, Education, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency