This ad is expired.
The Software Engineer is responsible for the development and support of software to provide services on behalf of Welch Medical Library. The software engineer works primarily with Java and React to develop and support a research archive at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. The software engineer expertly integrates systems and sources metadata from many providers to deliver services to Johns Hopkins University and Medicine. He/she develops and supports data management products to advance research integrity and reproducibility at the School of Medicine. He/she also works with stakeholders to engage in research, development, and implementation of services that deliver research and publications metadata.
The Software Engineer reports to the Director of Digital Systems and Software and is a member of the DSS department. As a member of this team, he/she will develop, maintain and support applications across a wide range of services that are provided by Welch Library. The developed and supported applications serve the Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Nursing, as well as the JH Hospital System.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
- As part of the Software Development and Support team, develop software and systems to meet the research, clinical and administrative needs of the JH community.
- Create data models and develop descriptive metadata schemas in order to meet functional and technical requirements. We use metadata to do things such as make holdings findable, manageable, scalable and portable.
- Develop and/or integrate tools that create, transform, augment and index metadata.
- Translate application storyboards, prototypes and requirements documents into functional applications.
- Evaluate open source solutions, commercial products, and home-grown plans for software development and support decisions.
- Develop code using Java and React, and/or other OO programming languages, to support digital repository frameworks and integrate systems.
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality and responsiveness of software. Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Document project plans, tasks, and software deliverables.
- Conduct and report on feasibility investigations for projects.
- Perform miscellaneous related duties as assigned
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
5 years of related work experience with computer systems, applications, as well as with modern software development tools and practices.
Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field.
- Solid understanding of Object Oriented Programming. Skilled in writing reusable Java libraries.
- Demonstrated proficiency with React framework.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Java programming language, and a working knowledge of its ecosystems.
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, JDBC, and RESTful.
- Experience developing and using REST APIs using the Jersey framework.
- Familiarity with Java frameworks, such as Spring MVC, IOC, AOP and Spring JDBC.
- Hands on experience with build and deployment tools such as Ant or Maven or Gradle.
- Unit and integration testing using Junit.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Experience working in higher education, medical libraries, or medical institutions.
- Experience with data management or data repositories a plus.
- Experience with tools and libraries for parsing XML a plus.
- Experience with Apache Solr a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working in an iterative or agile environment.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking skills and analytical reasoning skills.
- Excellent, clear and concise verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to converse fluently with technical and non-technical people.
- Ability to function well as a member of a technical team.
- Possess sound documentation skills.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
***This Position has the ability to be 100% Remote***
Classified Title: Software Engineer
Working Title: Software Engineer
Starting Salary Range: $69,140 - $95,005
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 02-MD:Mount Washington Campus
Department name: 10002627-SOM Admin Welch Digital Systs and Svcs
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Software-Engineer-MD-21209/747460300/
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency