Senior Software Developer - Information Technology Services
Facilities and Services
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Facilities & Services (F&S) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is accepting applications for a Senior Software Developer. Under direct supervision of the F&S Manager of Application Development, the Information Technology Technical Associate - Senior Software Developer will develop and support complex batch and web applications, interfaces, and reports in a multi-tier distributed environment. Perform analysis, design, and development activities in all phases of the Software Development Life Cycle. This position will utilize knowledge and understanding of database theory and practice to create and maintain database structures and queries.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit go.illinois.edu/EEO.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify and analyze user requirements.
- Prioritize, assign and execute tasks throughout the software development life cycle.
- Design and review database architecture.
- Schedule product releases with internal teams.
- Follow security best practices.
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Java code.
- Ensure designs follow specifications.
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of the applications.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Maintain code quality, organization, and automatization.
- Translate application storyboards and use cases into functional applications.
- Effectively design and develop multi-tier application software using industry standard software design methodology, framework & technical architecture standards.
- Design and develop software to integrate with a variety of 3rd party vendor systems / service providers.
- Perform technical evaluation of tools and products and contribute towards technology architecture decisions.
- Research, evaluate, and incorporate new technology and tools to enhance the development process; make technical recommendations based on best practices; participate in the establishment, review, and enforcement of application development standards and procedures.
- Lead departmental training efforts focused on Java and object-oriented programming for multi-tier Application support.
- Act as a resource for clients to obtain necessary information to enhance their user experience.
- Mentor colleagues to obtain necessary information to understand the environment and develop more applications to enhance the end user experience.
- Support business and technology teams as necessary during design, development and delivery to ensure scalable and robust solutions.
- Assist in technical design, quality review and testing of program code, system integration testing, user acceptance testing and implementation roll-out.
- Write technical design, architecture, assessment and other documents.
- Communicate effectively with the technology team and business users.
- Provide ongoing system support by maintaining and enhancing existing software applications.
- Ensure excellent customer service by analyzing production issues and providing prompt resolutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
1. Eight years of software development experience. College course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows: 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year, 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years.
3. Demonstrated experience working with Web Service standards (SOAP, REST, WSDL, etc.) and coding.
4. Demonstrated experience with relational databases and SQL.
5. Demonstrated experience with the entire development cycle (planning, analysis, design, implementation, testing and integration, and maintenance).
1. Work as a Senior Developer or similar role.
2. Demonstrated experience with AJAX and Node.js principles and coding.
3. Demonstrated experience with Java Messaging Service (JMS) principles and coding.
4. Demonstrated experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems.
5. Demonstrated experience managing complex projects.
6. Demonstrated experience developing applications in a complex infrastructure such as web server clusters, load balancing, and message broker services.
Bachelor's degree in a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of User experience (UX) design principles.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a full-time Civil Service IT Technical Associate position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after April 11, 2021. Salary is commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION:
Applications must be received by April 11, 2021. Apply for this position using the "Apply for Position" button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you may be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), academic credentials (unofficial transcripts may be acceptable), and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position using the "Apply for Position" button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about the position, you may contact Ken McCray at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency