Senior Cloud Engineer
University of California Merced
$110,000 - $140,000
UC Merced will consider flexible work arrangements for this position up through and including 100% remote for the right level of subject matter expertise. However, please consider that the market salary range will not be adjusted for other geo markets.
Position will remain posted until filled. Applicant review will begin on or around August 23rd and will continue through selection. Posting may close any time after that.
The University of California, Merced, is the newest of the University of California system's 10 campuses and the first American research university built in the 21st century. With nearly 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students, UC Merced offers an environment that combines a commitment to diversity, inclusion, collaboration and professional development. With bachelor's, master's and doctoral degree programs, strong research and academic partnerships, and community involvement, the UC Merced campus is continually evolving and requires talented, knowledgeable and dynamic educators, researchers, management and staff.
Ranked among the best public universities in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, UC Merced is uniquely equipped to provide educational opportunities highly qualified students from the San Joaquin Valley and throughout California. The campus enjoys a special connection with nearby Yosemite National Park, is on the cutting edge of sustainability in construction and design and supports the economic development of Merced and the region.
The University of California, Merced is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opporutnity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principles of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its essential values of leadership, diversity, engagement and sustainability The ideal candidate will have strong demonstrated accomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity and inclusion, and a desire to play a leadership role in advancing UC Merced's achievement of excellence right here in California's Central Valley.
The primary goal of the Office of Information Technology (OIT) at UC Merced is to provide students, faculty, and staff at UC Merced with high quality infrastructure, support, and innovation in the delivery of information technology products and services. We believe that information technology should be an easily accessible and a continually improving resource, both robust in scope, and flexible enough to support the growing needs of the campus community.
Acts as a senior technical expert with the primary focus of accelerating the adoption of the Office of Information Technology's Cloud First Strategy. Applies advanced systems/software concepts and objectives to medium to large projects of broad scope and complexity. Collaborates across the entire IT organization to design, build, test, and deploy cloud-based applications and infrastructure. Applies broad cross-functional knowledge of Cloud architecture, enterprise systems, applications programming, systems automation/deployment, and security to achieve organizational goals. Works on issues, up to and including the most complex, with little or no institutional precedent where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Gives technical presentations to senior management and campus-wide audiences. Represents the UC Merced Office of Information Technology on institution-wide and systemwide committees. Functions as a technical lead / subject matter expert. Performs independent research, prototypes, evaluates and champions new technology including cost / benefit analyses.
1. [Cloud Architecture and Orchestration] Specifies, writes and executes highly complex software and scripts to support systems automation and deployment. Designs and implements enterprise cloud environments to support and enhance critical campus applications and infrastructure. Builds, tests and deploys containerized applications. Manages physical and virtual network infrastructure to create and enforce security boundaries, application resiliency, and interoperability between cloud and on-premise computing environments.
2. [Systems Integration and Automation] Specifies, writes and executes highly complex software and scripts to support the integration of applications and cloud services with campus core infrastructure including identity management, authentication, and security/event logging. In collaboration with systems and enterprise applications teams, develops and enhances campus core infrastructure components to support new features or functionality. Provides operating system level support, configuration, and automation on a variety of Windows and Linux platforms.
3. [Communication, Planning, and Strategy] Exercises advanced interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate as part of a cohesive operations team working with multiple customers and organizations simultaneously. Collaborates with IT and institutional leadership to ensure new IT projects are appropriately scoped and designed to operate in cloud environments where appropriate. Represents UC Merced OIT in various higher education settings and communities of practice.
4. [Security] Designs and executes security controls, up to and including the most complex, to prevent unauthorized access to institutional networked resources. Specifies and designs network access controls. May recommend and assist management with the implications of implementing campus, system and regulation-based security policies. Collaborate with information security teams to meet various policy, regulatory, and performance objectives for managed cloud systems.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and a minimum of 5 years of progressive experience managing complex infrastructure, applications, and information security in a heterogeneous environment. AWS Certified Solutions Architect. (Preferred)
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and nontechnical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates problem-solving skills. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment with extremely quick turnaround on development efforts and high enthusiasm for change being the norm.
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner.
- Understanding of system performance monitoring and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance.
- Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs.
- Programming/scripting experience in Python, common unix shells, Powershell, or similar. Experience with automation/configuration management using Ansible, Puppet, AWS Systems Manager, or similar.
- Demonstrated expert knowledge, skills and abilities associated with system problem identification and resolution. Experience with design, configuration, operation, repair, and tuning of technology systems. Advanced experience writing and editing the most complex scripts used to perform system maintenance and administration.
- Demonstrated ability to regularly interact effectively with senior management.
- Extensive experience developing, operating, and architecting solutions in cloud services such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure.
- Advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing most complex server-based software.
- Demonstrated experience in Windows and Linux systems administration.
- Demonstrated experience developing/administering containerized applications using Docker, Kubernetes, or equivalent technologies. (Preferred)
Background check and fingerprinting will be required.
How to Apply:
An online application is required for each position to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Smoke and Tobacco Free Policy:
The University of California, Merced is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information and the Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at http://smokefree.ucmerced.edu.
All employers who receive Federal contracts and grants are required to comply with E-Verify, an Internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). E-Verify electronically verifies employment eligibility by comparing information provided on the I-9 form to records in the DHS and SSA databases. Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UC Merced to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
Pay, Benefits & Work Schedule:
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University of California visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/
To apply, please visit: https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucm/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=25&JobOpeningId=21338&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency