- Operating Systems/Network Analyst Level 3
- Go to our website »
Operating Systems/Network Analyst Level 3
Oregon State University
Department: College of Business Dept (BUS)
Appointment Type: Classified Staff
Job Location: Corvallis
Min Salary: $5648 monthly
Max Salary: $9019 monthly
This recruitment will be used to fill one full-time Operating Systems/Network Analyst, competency level 3, position for the College of Business at Oregon State University (OSU).
This position works with the college's IS staff to support the general IT needs of students, faculty and staff. The position provides a dedicated focus on providing excellent customer service to students, faculty and staff. The position maintains the inventory of personal computers, laptops, printers, servers, switches, support equipment, classroom equipment and technology infrastructure needed to support mission of the college. The position is also responsible for delivering quality performance for directory services, network security, SQL Server administration, backup and disaster recovery services, anti-virus, directory permissions, file storage, and printer management services. This position assists in supervising student workers providing helpdesk support to the College of Business computing lab and students, faculty and staff. This responsibility includes hiring student workers, providing initial orientation and advanced training, scheduling their work, evaluating performance and setting salaries.
Along with technical support this position is also responsible for system documentation and project planning. This position must be able to communicate effectively to faculty, staff and students orally and in writing. The position must be able to work well in a team environment. The position works closely with academic faculty to develop and deliver technology solutions for academic classes. The work is intellectual and varied. This position will work closely with faculty to ensure that students receive effective training on current technology.
The College of Business is committed to maintaining and enhancing its diverse and collaborative community that strives for equity and inclusivity. All faculty and staff members are responsible for helping to ensure that these goals are achieved and should be able to demonstrate contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Such contributions can be part of service and/or professional development. Outputs and impacts of these efforts to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion will be included in annual performance reviews.
Summary of Benefits : https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/prospective-employee To calculate our Total Rewards Package use this link: https://hr.oregonstate.edu/benefits/new-employees/benefits-calculator
40% - Operating systems administration and network analysis supporting learning and teaching and research mission:
- Support the Colleges missions of teaching, research and service by managing, trouble shooting, resolving problems, preventing problems, securing, supporting and upgrading the systems and technology infrastructure investments of the college, including Teams, SQL Server, Box, Sharepoint, VMware, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, Active Directory, file storage, print management and web hosting.
- Utilize project management tools and ITSM standards to develop processes for quality assurance and quality control in supporting faculty, staff and students.
- Identify and implement critical maintenance fixes and for isolating and correcting malfunctions. Ensure operating systems and software remain current by performing timely upgrades as needed with minimal impact on COB operations. Upgrades involve installing software packages and/or operating systems. Identify patches and upgrades relevant to the COB by monitoring general announcements from software vendors. Coordinate and trouble shoot with the COB-IS staff, OSU peers and industry experts to find solutions and identify best practices.
- Coordinate with OSU IS Security team to ensure latest cyber updates and policies are implemented in a timely manner. Represent COB-IS interests in OSU IT discussions and planning for cyber security.
- Manage vendor relations with key service providers to ensure compliance with licensing requirements and evaluate upgrade options. Monitor the marketplace to understand and make recommendations on when to move to a different platform or vendor.
- Manage critical Windows system administration tasks such as allocating file space and removing/retiring old accounts.
- Plan upgrades carefully and thoroughly by conducting peer reviews of the plan and then pilot testing and having contingency plans and documenting changes.
- Manage systems supporting event reservations and access control. Respond to issues with users unable to access building spaces. Manage the space reservation system in coordination with the building manager and the class scheduling manager.
- Provide reports and recommendations for regular refresh of computers and laptops. Develop expertise in supporting the current and future audio-visual and technology needs of the college. Develop expertise in the Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager and equivalent systems to keep software updated, set configurations and security policies and monitor system status.
- Assist with supporting A/V and IT capabilities in the colleges classrooms, computer labs, conference rooms, project rooms in order to provide first responder support and troubleshooting.
- Collaborate with the OS/NAs and Systems Administrator to provide technical support to academic faculty in the implementation of new technologies for research excellence and educating profession-ready graduates.
- Advise and assist research faculty in finding solutions for software, hardware, processes and data sources that meet their needs.
- Evaluate and recommend hardware and system software procurements. Assess the impact of new software on existing systems and users and develop modification plans as needed.
25% - Technical support to faculty, staff and students for technology-based systems supporting learning and teaching:
- Respond to requests from faculty, staff and students for training and support. Utilize project management tools and customer service focus to develop exemplary processes for quality assurance and quality control in supporting faculty, staff and students:
- User consultation - assist users to develop or use applications and software packages and their features; participate in needs assessment and evaluate potential purchases for compatibility with existing systems.
- Develop and/or conduct formal training programs, lab/equipment orientations and demonstrations, and self-guided tutorials on equipment, applications, databases, and related systems.
- Site administration - Ensure lab, studio, classroom, and/or stand-alone information systems are fully operational and secure.
- Assess college IT training needs, and develop and coordinate plans for training delivery.
- Manage lab or media studio operations and projects.
- Instructional/multimedia development - Devise methods for integrating technical tools and applications into faculty instructional delivery and student projects.
- Participate in needs assessments and evaluate potential purchases for compatibility with existing systems;
- Prepare requests for proposals, cost estimates, and justifications.
15% Lead Work and Training
- Provide leadership and direction for assigned student staff.
- Recruit and hire student workers, provide orientation and advanced training, schedule work, evaluate performance through completion of written evaluations, act on disciplinary issues up to and including dismissal; develop a framework for corrective actions as necessary.
- Conduct training to ensure student workers provide quality support and acquire experiential learning experience.
10% - Business process improvement analysis and information technology service management for learning and teaching:
- Support the Colleges missions of teaching, research and service by reviewing business processes and identifying potential solutions to improve the value of information and technology. Utilize IT Service Management practices to ensure high quality service to customers.
- Use Active Directory, grouper and other data systems and tools to maintain the student mailing lists for each of the college disciplines. Provide ad hoc reports as needed. Maintain the college mailing lists for faculty and staff and ensure control of who can release to each mailing list.
- Review technical documentation to ensure it meets the needs of faculty and complies with OSU accessibility requirements.
5% - Professional development and miscellaneous duties:
- Maintain knowledge of current technology developments relevant to educational/business environment. Mentor student lab assistants with their technology knowledge, skills and abilities to become profession-ready at graduation. Participate in OSU IT task forces and committees.
5% Other Duties as Assigned
- Perform duties as assigned by the Director of Operations in support of the mission of the College of Business.
This classification requires a basic foundation of knowledge in operating systems programs, maintenance, systems administration, and network systems that would normally be obtained through a bachelors degree, preferably in computer science, engineering mathematics, telecommunications or a related technical field, or equivalent technical training and/or experience.
Additional Required Qualifications
- This classification requires a basic foundation of knowledge in operating systems programs, maintenance, systems administration, and network systems that would normally be obtained through a bachelors degree, preferably in computer science, business information systems or a related technical field, or equivalent technical training and/or experience.
- Experience providing customer service support in a professional organization environment.
- Experience administering at least 20 users of Windows machines and providing network administration for Windows server, network communications and peripherals management in an Exchange/Active Directory environment including file storage and print services.
- Experience building and maintaining images.
- Experience using a ticket management system.
- Experience developing and maintaining end-user documentation.
- Experience in managing a particular task or issue while balancing the overall needs of the organization and prioritizing accordingly.
- Excellent organizational, written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Success in working in a team environment and able to demonstrate attributes of a team player.
- Ability to explain complex technology issues to users of all technical levels.
- Focus on delivering excellent customer service.
- A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a criminal history check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard: 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions .
Preferred (Special) Qualifications
- Four or more years of relevant professional experience.
- Project management experience.
- Experience with virtual desktop infrastructure.
- Experience with VMWare for VDI, server and storage virtualization.
- Experience with Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager or equivalent system.
- Experience supporting client server and cloud-based systems and web hosting.
- Audio/Visual equipment and technologies knowledge.
- Understanding of IT Service Management processes and practices.
- Understanding and knowledge of web technologies and experience in web development.
- Experience working in a university setting.
- Experience working with Mac OS.
- Database management.
- Professional certifications (e.g., PMP, ITIL, MCSE).
- Experience working with virtualized server environment.
- Experience with administering Sharepoint or Teams.
- Experience with scripting and SQL statements.
- Experience with a resource management system.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
- May require lifting and/or moving office furniture and technology equipment weighing up to 70 pounds between spaces in the building.
- Occasional travel may be required to support events outside of Corvallis.
- Occasional late evening or weekend work may be required to support college events or technology upgrades, cyber incidents.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 3/10/2023. Applications will continue to be accepted after the full consideration date, until a sufficient applicant pool has been achieved or the position is filled. The closing date is subject to change without notice to applicants.
Applications will be reviewed based on the information submitted on the employment profile with education and work history along with any other requested documentation i.e. posting specific question responses, transcripts, etc. Your profile MUST clearly show how you meet the minimum/required qualifications for the position. Resumes are NOT accepted at the application stage for classified staff positions. Cover letters are optional for this position and will not be used for evaluating your qualifications.
Typically, the starting salary is at the lower end of the salary range.
For additional information please contact:
Name: Tracy Speelhoffer
OSU is committed to the health of our local and global community. All employees and students are required to comply with the universitys COVID-19 Vaccination Program. Please visit https://covid.oregonstate.edu/ for additional information about OSUs plans for safety and success, as well as options for compliance with the vaccination program.
OSU commits to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
OSU will conduct a review of the National Sex Offender Public website prior to hire.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per University Standard 05-010 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the Criminal History Check Requirement.
To apply, please visit: https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/132665
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency