- Network Engineer I
- Go to our website »
Network Engineer I
The Network Engineer I is responsible for a high level of technical support to the University community including the following requirements: gathering, design, installation, configuration, troubleshooting, upgrading and maintaining networking, telecommunications and related computer systems. They generate documentation on how to utilize the systems, provides written technical resolutions in a central knowledge base, and assists in the development of technical standards for networking and telecommunications systems. In addition to support of daily operations, this position includes vendor and customer interactions in the evaluation, technical design and implementation of projects that advance the state of the University's data, voice and video networking infrastructure. This position is responsible for second-level network support for the Helpdesk.
- Explores, identifies, evaluates, enables, and promotes existing and emerging networking and telecommunications services.
- Assists with management of network performance by periodically baselining capacity and performance and projecting resource usage.
- Defines, plans, schedules and coordinates "moves, additions or changes".
- Serves as a senior level technical support to the distributed and central technical service providers.
- Performs high-level technical analysis for projects requiring network and telecommunications connectivity, including security and wireless.
- Advise, consult, and provide services in the design, creation, and delivery of building data and voice infrastructure.
- Provides high level of customer service and satisfaction to the University community in resolving complex issues with a broad range of technology systems.
- Coordinates single/multiple vendor interactions on projects.
- Effectively communicates project expectations to team members, stakeholders in a clear and timely fashion and coordinates resources to ensure successful implementation.
- Produce and continuously improve networking/telecommunications documents including: asset inventory, LAN/WAN diagrams, SOPs, and training materials.
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves network problems through the use of a variety of monitoring tools.
- Maintains and upgrades networking and telecommunications hardware and software.
- Deliver customer and IT partner Networking/Telecommunications technology end-user/administrator training.
- Contribute in technical peer review.
- Log support requests and issues reported into a central database and maintain their updates.
- Generate reports and contribute to the implementation of permanent resolution to issues.
- Attends technical training and performs technical research to enhance planning, deployment and operation of appropriate network components.
- Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
- Two years of completed post-high school education coursework.
- One (1) year of directly applicable networking/telecommunications experience.
- Network+ Certification.
- Bachelors Degree.
- ITIL Foundation Certification.
- Security + Certification.
- CCNA Certification.
- Ability to support processes and software in a multi-vendor environment with limited supervision.
- Ability to provide hands-on support and troubleshoot networking and telecommunication systems.
- Must be able to comfortably discuss computing topics with varying levels of personnel from student to senior management.
- Must be able to provide solutions to integrate various disparate systems in a single service offering using existing knowledge and research.
- Solid written communication skills with the ability to write technical documentation or manuals.
- Must be able to manage projects and be familiar with project management concepts (project schedules, plans, scopes of work etc.).
- Adept at reading and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, along with analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to conduct research into emerging technology issues and products.
- Practitioner of network security, LAN/WAN installation and operations, PBX, voicemail and associated voice systems (ACD).
- Exceptional communication skills including interacting regularly with architects, designers and other trades.
- Understands IEEE/TIA Wiring Standards.
- Must be able to provide computer application support which includes but not limited to (software installation, administrative setting configurations).
- Understands ITIL Incident, Change, Problem, Project, and Asset Management.
- Ability to maintain a professional and positive attitude in a fast paced creative environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work without direct supervision.
- Detail oriented, have multi-tasking abilities and handle tight, high stress deadlines.
- Experience working in a team-oriented collaborative environment.
- Experience and sensitivity in working with people of diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Demonstrated experience in advancing social justice, equity, and inclusion in a university setting.
- Ability to engage and integrate culturally responsive practices and knowledge in their work.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties require extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand and wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional walking, standing and simple grasping. Infrequent climbing stairs, walking across campus, stooping and reaching. Constant communication using both spoken and written means. May be required to lift up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel:
Primarily office setting, AV closets and /or data center with exposure to noise and cooler temperatures. Work performed during standard business hours, 8:00AM-5PM, Monday through Friday, occasional overtime and hours worked outside of normal schedule may be required to meet business deadlines. Travel may be required to other campuses, meetings or training.
Hiring Range: $28.09-$37.22 per hour. We consider factors such as, but not limited to, scope and responsibilities of the position, candidates qualifications, internal equity, as well as market and organizational considerations when extending an offer.
Background Check Statement:
All applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment are required to execute a release and authorization for a background screening.
To apply, visit https://pacific.peopleadmin.com/postings/24691
University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency