This ad is expired.
Manager of Data Services
The Data Services Department is seeking a Manager of Data Services (Library Services Manager) who manages the operations of the JHU Data Services team, which supports the following areas: JHU Data Management Services (DMS); Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and maps; data access and discovery; computational research and coding; and data visualization. This includes a) team of four data management specialists, three GIS and geospatial specialists, and one data visualization specialist that provide consultation, training and archiving services for data management planning, geospatial data GIS, and maps; data visualization; finding and using data and provided support to researchers across Johns Hopkins University, and b) new and ongoing collaboration and partnerships with other departments and units across JHU. In particular, the Manager must work closely with the Sheridan Libraries' Academic Liaisons, the Digital Research and Curation Center, the Library Applications Group, and the Welch Medical Library.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
JHU Data Services Team and Service Operations Management
- Recruits, trains, and supervises team of four data management specialists and four GIS, data, and visualization specialists and experts, including goal setting, performance management, and development.
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement.
- Establishes and documents policies and service level expectations.
- Oversees benchmarking and ongoing assessment of consulting, training, archiving and geospatial services to inform service development.
- Manages the Data Services spaces in Eisenhower Library, including the Data Service Computer Lab, the Restricted Data Room, the Visualization Studio, and the Data Services Help Desk. Coordinates with relevant colleagues in Facilities and End User Support.
- Oversees several library collections and related services, including the print and digital map collection and acquisition of secondary data and the data purchase programming, including associated discovery and access issues.
- Coordinates with technical staff providing and supporting the relevant infrastructure and applications, including the JHU Data Archive.
- Directs marketing activities for the unit by monitoring ongoing outreach to constituencies, assessing outreach efforts, and planning for regular and targeted marketing and communication efforts to grow service use.
- Manages all reporting and communications on the unit's progress with the Associate Dean for Research Data Management.
- Manages the three budgets associated with Data Services, Data Management Services; GIS UA; and GIS Sheridan, including budget reporting to funders. Works with Associate Dean for Research Data Management on budgeting, contractual and legal matters.
- Oversees the ESRI campus-wide educational site license and shepherds contract renewals through the review and procurement process.
Data Services Planning and Development
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean for Research Data Management and facilitates team planning to shape long-term strategic goals and identify annual top initiatives and projects.
- Manages scoping and development of annual initiatives drawing on project management best practices and planning to achieve success.
- Oversees progress of all projects and services and supports project teams. Manages ongoing development and growth of the Data Services training and outreach programs, identifying relevant and impactful training topics, delivery mechanisms, and resourcing needs.
- Directs ongoing development of the Data Services unit and various informational and analytic resources available through websites and online resources.
- Seeks and builds partnerships with other service units across Johns Hopkins to maintain and grow the integration of services in keeping with the One University strategic goal.
- Stays abreast of trends and issues in data management planning, sharing, access and curation including data management expectations and policies across funders and publishers.
- Partners with the Associate Dean for Research Data Management to develop and manage external partnerships.
- Contributes to University-wide efforts on Data Management and sharing, including leading the cross-university group on Data Sharing Guidance as part of the One University response the final NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy.
Provision of Data Services
- Manages inquiries from researchers for data services and support. Provides consultative support to PIs including evaluation of data planning needs, assessing short and long term options and benefits, catering planning to specific granting agency requirements, and editing data management plans. Provides consultative support on geospatial research, tools, and teaching.
- Identifies data standards, metadata standards, best practices for data management, etc. to continuously build expertise and improve provision of service.
- Maintains knowledge on a broad range of data repositories including their submission, Intellectual Property, and use arrangements, and provide guidance on repository selection for deposit.
- Collaborates with others in the library to effectively communicate services to faculty, researchers, and departments.
- Develops policies and procedures for dashboard projects utilizing geospatial tools for research and large-scale public projects and coordinates support from Data Services staff members.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Master's degree in Health Sciences, Science, Engineering or Library Science.
- A minimum of five (5) years combined of library, information technology, informatics, geospatial and/or scientific research experience.
- Two years (2) years of management or supervisory experience preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of data repository applications, platforms, and technologies, particularly Dataverse, Geoportal (Blacklight) and Islandora.
- Demonstrated understanding of the research data lifecycle from data acquisition to curation and the tools used to manage those data throughout the process.
- Experience managing relationships and/or partnerships with other institutions or vendors a plus.
- Experience leading and managing service, product or project teams required. Experience working with data management and/or curation required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong team-orientation, and professional attitude.
- Clear and consistent communicator skilled in networking and outreach efforts.
- Good listener and skilled negotiator with a high degree of customer orientation. Strong writing skills.
- Highly organized and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong project planning, management, and execution skills.
- Must be self-motivated, pro-active, willing to take on new challenges and solve problems.
Classified Title: Library Services Manager
Working Title: Manager of Data Services
Starting Salary Range: $72,160 - $95,000 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: GIS & Data Services
Personnel area: Libraries
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons or because the individual is pregnant or attempting to become pregnant. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Manager-of-Data-Services-MD-21218/783447400/
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency