Information Systems Specialist
Location: Silicon Valley
Job ID: 61269
Our campus is located in Santa Clara, CA, the Heart of Silicon Valley. We like to say that it's here where the next generation of innovation is born.
Be a member of the IT team during an exciting phase of our organization's growth.
Do you have...
* Experience in information systems, database administration, privacy policies and implementation?
* Excellent abilities to manage ambiguity, unexpected situations and multiple priorities?
* Experience supporting a network team to troubleshoot infrastructure and firewalls?
* Skills in IT testing and test planning?
* Experience with scripting, web development and support?
If you answer "yes" to the above, check out our job posting and consider applying!
Benefits to working at UC Santa Cruz SILICON VALLEY include:
* Medical / Dental / Vision Insurance Plans
* UC Retirement Plans
* Life Insurance / Legal Insurance / Discounted Pet Insurance
* 14 Paid Holidays Plus Accrued Vacation & Sick Leave
* Employee Discount Programs and much more...
Location: UCSC SILICON VALLEY CAMPUS, 3175 BOWERS AVE. SANTA CLARA, CA, 95054.
NO VISA SPONSORSHIP IS AVAILABLE FOR THIS POSITION.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, applicants should attach their resume and cover letter when applying for a job opening. For guidance related to the application process or if you are experiencing difficulties when applying, please review the Applicant Resources on our Talent Acquisition website.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. Materials submitted after the IRD will ONLY be forwarded at the request of the hiring unit. To ensure your application is routed for consideration, submit your materials before 11:59 p.m. on the IRD. Talent Acquisition cannot accept application materials outside of the jobs portal, and is unable to update submitted applications on an applicant's behalf, or forward communications to the hiring units. For more information about the IRD and the applicant review process, view this link.
The IRD for this job is: 11-27-2023
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
UCSC Extension provides professional training that reflects the academic rigor of the University of California and the hands-on, roll-up-your-shirtsleeves practicality of Silicon Valley culture. Developed with guidance from key industry leaders and academic experts, Extension's certificate programs match the economic demands of industry, from engineering to business, education to bioscience. The University of California reviews and approves UCSC Extension courses and programs for academic content, merit, and instructor qualifications. Many courses can be applied toward degree programs or may be eligible for professional certificates and licenses.
The IT department is a fast-paced environment and serves all IT needs for UCSC Silicon Valley Extension and UC Scout. Learners, instructors, and staff members are supported by the IT department, totaling approximately 18,000 registered users at any time. The LMS Team supports a multitude of IT needs within a clearly defined service level.
UCSC Extension is based in Santa Clara, CA, the heart of Silicon Valley. Extension is an equity-minded organization that represents the full diversity of the University of California and demonstrates a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
The University of California has a 150-year history in the San Francisco Bay Area, and is recognized as the leading regional workforce training provider. As part of the University of California, UCSC Silicon Valley Extension is certified by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). UCSC Extension offers accredited courses and has sustained ongoing partnerships with regional companies, workforce development programs, and professional associations.
More information can be found at https://www.ucsc-extension.edu/
The Information Systems Specialist facilitates IT processes and communication by empowering stakeholders with technology and related services. Provides system support and maintenance for various applications and implements quality assurance techniques. The Specialist advises stakeholders on Data and Information Security practices.
As an experienced information technology analyst with an understanding of industry best practices and campus policies and procedures, the Information Systems Specialist applies skills to resolve a wide range of issues that are moderately complex in scope. The incumbent takes the lead on resolving issues, works with other entities on campus and outside vendors to accomplish projects, and selects methods and techniques to obtain solutions. The Information Systems Specialist evaluates new technologies including performing simple to moderate cost/benefit analyses. The incumbent also installs, maintains, and provides support for SANs, hosts, VMs, websites, etc. The Information Systems Specialist makes recommendations for new hardware and takes the lead in supporting server-related issues as required, working off-hours as needed.
Budgeted Salary: $90,000 - $100,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Under California law, the University of California, Santa Cruz is required to post a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role. The salary shown above is the budgeted amount the University reasonably expects to pay and the salary extended should not exceed this posted amount.
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri, with occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
- Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Weekend
Employee Classification: Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Silicon Valley (Santa Clara, CA)
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: CODE
Travel: Never or Rarely
50% - Information Systems Support and Maintenance
Support and Maintenance
- Analyzes, acquires, installs, updates, backs-up, modifies, and supports operating systems, databases, enterprise apps, utilities, and internet/intranet-related tools.
- Installs, debugs, upgrades, develops and documents underlying infrastructure, provides tier 1 DB support, and serves as the primary contact for large, enterprise-level applications.
- Conducts highly complex systems programming and systems support activities.
- Manages centralized computer servers, and cloud servers, and makes recommendations for the purchase or upgrade of new computer hardware and other cloud-based services and tools.
- Proposes and implements highly complex system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
- Installs, implements, and maintains MSA, Coraid, and VSX Systems. Deploys and tests systems and procedures required for Disaster Recovery.
- Assists Business Information Systems Manager to provide support to Business Information Systems such as the Student Information System.
- Develops and deploys server virtualization schemes, both for our in-house servers and for online training systems. This work requires a working knowledge of VMWare VCenter.
Collaboration with Campus ITS, Campus Partners, Professional and Cont. Ed., UC Scout, SBAC, Building Operations, Baskin Engineering
- Represents IT in collaborative efforts with the various teams on a regular basis.
- Work with Registrar(s) to implement data governance and data quality policies.
- Serves as the Level 2 UISL and assists the IT Director with assessing the Information Security Policies of new and existing tools. This includes compliance policies such as PCI, FERPA, GDPR, CCPA, etc.
- Liaises with Campus Network Team and Network Consultants to provide Network Support.
15% - Website, API, and other integrations Support
- Provides basic to intermediate Web Development Support.
- Creates, manages, and modifies APIs to external applications to integrate with internal reporting systems and other information systems.
- Supports the Education Technology Team with any LTI/API support that they may need.
10% - User Management
- Oversees all aspects of the UNEX domain: accounts, group policies, DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, Confluence, Zoom, OSTicket, SnipeIT.
15% - Classroom and Building Support
- Oversees the servers that host tools that are taught in our courses such as VLSI Tools.
Building Systems Support
- Provides support to the Building Operations Manager in managing the BMS and Building Access
10% - Technology Trends and Research
- Proactively researches, shares, and recommends solutions using new and/or existing technologies to assist in addressing current or future business needs.
- Stays up-to-date with trends and innovations by reading tech articles and publications, attending webinars and trainings, attending courses, joining communities etc.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Experience working with a broad variety of information systems such as web servers, database servers, file servers, etc. This includes Linux, Windows, and Mac OS.
- Experience with data and information privacy policies and implementation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels within the organization and external, including staff, faculty, students, vendors etc.
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner with a can-do and problem solving approach.
- Demonstrated ability to install software and troubleshoot and repair moderately complex problems with computing devices, peripherals, and software.
- Understanding of and experience troubleshooting client, server and peripherals-related issues and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance.
- Experience in incident response and digital forensics, including data collection, examination, and analysis.
- Experience supporting a network team to troubleshoot existing network infrastructure, firewall maintenance, and troubleshooting
- Demonstrated experience with database administration.
- Working knowledge of database management systems and standards.
- Knowledge relating to database system design.
- Advanced database querying and modeling skills working with moderately complex databases.
- Familiarity with data quality and governance requirements, policies, and implementation.
- Works independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent / related functions.
- Excellent ability to manage ambiguity and unexpected situations.
- Knowledge of computer security, best practices, and policies including demonstrated experience securing server-based software.
- Demonstrated skill at administering moderately complex security controls and configurations to computer hardware, software and networks.
- Demonstrated testing and test planning skills in all aspects of IT.
- Experience working with Drupal.
- Experience working with Student Information Systems including Jenzabar's Higher Reach.
- Experience developing and maintaining APIs.
- Experience managing IT Projects.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Ability to perform essential physical job functions.
- Ability to ascend/descend ladders with or without accommodation.
- Ability to safely perform the physical requirements necessary to move light to moderate objects up to 60 lbs., with or without accommodation.
- The selected candidate will be required to work primarily on campus, with periods of remote work possible based on operational needs. If a hybrid work schedule is confirmed, the selected candidate must be able to work successfully from a home/remote office and be able to fulfill the requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- Ability to occasionally work overtime with little or no advance notice.
- Ability to work on-call and respond to emergencies after hours as necessary.
- Ability to work overtime including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays to meet operational needs, and work an alternate work schedule shift as required.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete training within established time frames as directed including UC compliance training.
- Ability to travel to multiple work locations on and off campus.
- Ability to maintain appearance and conduct suitable for working in a professional setting.
- The University of California has implemented a Vaccination Policy covering all employees. Employees, including new hires, are required to comply with any applicable policies relating to the University of California vaccine program.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency