This ad is expired.
ITS HR Manager
Location: Scotts Valley
Job ID: 37668
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 06-29-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results that foster a campus climate where employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious, kind, and deeply committed to inclusive excellence.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience, and value to our constituents. We care deeply about creating a diverse, high performing organization through recruiting while developing highly talented, well-rounded, staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant amount of resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
More information can be found at https://its.ucsc.edu
In collaboration and facilitation with UC Santa Cruz, Staff Human Resources (SHR), the Divisional HR Manager for ITS oversees divisional human resources and related processes for ~250 positions, including staffing, merit award, and performance management programs. Specific areas of responsibility include: staff recruitment, classification, compensation, employee relations issues, diversity, learning development and organizational development.
Serves as advisor to the Vice Chancellor (VC), ITS and senior management on HR matters. Develops and maintains partnerships with Staff Human Resources, managers, and peers to ensure delivery of HR services that reflect the strategic goals of the organization.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $81,600 - $110,000/year. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: Scotts Valley
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 007597 (HR GENERALIST 4)
Travel: Never or Rarely
60% - Analysis & Consultation
- Applies advanced HR concepts to guide all levels of managers and supervisors on HR issues, procedures, and appropriate practices.
- Counsels employees concerning sensitive and difficult to resolve work-related problems and recommends to senior management systemic remedies such as training, and / or changes to organizational practices and procedures.
- Provides support to ITS directors, managers and supervisors in administering policies and programs in the areas of employment, wage and salary administration and training.
- Designs and recommends internal processes, resolves problems and provides consultation and analysis for various HR programs and issues.
- Conducts highly complex and varied analyses of issues or concepts and develops and presents recommendations.
- Manages the annual staff personnel and salary programs for ITS. Review incoming requests for personnel actions requiring VC IT and/or Budget Director approval.
- Ensures accuracy and completeness of documentation for HR actions and assess the appropriateness of action and justification.
- Works with ITS Leadership and SHR Compensation to make salary and classification recommendations based on internal ITS or campus comparisons and various compensation analyses.
- Prepares ad-hoc reports for the VC, ITS budget office and directors as needed.
- In collaboration with SHR Compensation / Classification team, assists managers/ supervisors in drafting job descriptions. Provides guidance on compensation programs.
- In consultation with SHR provides guidance to managers and supervisors on system-wide personnel policies and collective bargaining agreements.
- Provides guidance on internal and campus wide procedures.
30% - Organizational Management
- Manages ITS' recruitment process. Advises all levels of managers, supervisors and employees on effective recruitment practices including developing job descriptions, providing analysis and guidance on compensation issues, and participates on candidate selection committees as needed.
- Supports the central onboarding of all new employees and coordination of ITS and campus offboarding procedures.
- Works with client groups on highly complex re-organizations and staffing designs to assist in meeting business goals.
- In consultation with the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) oversees the division's Diversity, Equity, Inclusion programming, including coordinating events and speakers, tracking relevant data and writing the Diversity/Affirmative Action report.
- Recommends changes to organizational practices and procedures based on difficult to resolve work-related problems.
- Initiates and supports ITS staff development, training and morale activities. Develops and provides training or coaching for managers, supervisors and staff on new HR processes and policies.
10% - Liaison
- Works with ITS management and campus units to ensure compliance and internal controls are in place, and serves as primary liaison with the campus SHR department to maintain or reinforce effective practices.
- Serves as primary contact for ITS regarding staff personnel policies, procedures and issues.
- Represents ITS in meetings with Staff Human Resources, Payroll and other groups. Serves on the campus-wide HR workgroups to collaborate on new HR initiatives and implement systemwide policy.
- Participates in presentations to staff and supervisors. Works in collaboration with SHR to provide information for required union notices.
- Develops communications regarding any changes to affected staff and managers.
ITS Security Statement
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Experience in managing and facilitating HR programs, projects and processes.
- Experience working with sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of organizational policies and procedures; understands the relationship and impacts between providing HR responsibilities and organizational priorities.
- Advanced knowledge of human resources concepts, policies and procedures including employment practices, salary administration, training and other areas of human resources as well as organizational initiatives relating to and / or affecting human resources.
- Advanced interpersonal skills to present complex information to all levels of organizational constituents.
- Advanced verbal and active listening skills.
- Advanced written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle very difficult or volatile situations/people effectively.
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to define, solve, and provide recommendations for complex problems.
- In depth knowledge in working with a human resources management system (HRMS), and / or other related business software programs and systems.
- Demonstrated problem solving skils.
- Advanced degree in related area and / or equivalent experience and / or training.
- Experience working in a cross functional or agile working environment.
- Working knowledge of University of California personnel practices and procedures and collective bargaining agreements between the UC and various unions.
- Lean / Six Sigma.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP).
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR).
- Senior Profession in Human Resources (SPHR).
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Incumbent may be required to work nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to complete various compliance and job-related training as directed.
- Hybrid or fully remote work schedule available: If the selected candidate elects to work a hybrid or fully remote work schedule, he/she/they will be required to work remotely from a home office, frequency of remote workdays to be determined, and be able to fulfill all requirements of the UCSC telecommuting agreement.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency