Classified Title: LAN Administrator III
Working Title: Executive IT Administrator III
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10000023-IT@JH Client Technology Solutions
Personnel area: University Administration
General Position Summary:
Responsible for administration, testing, maintenance, performance, implementation, security and support of various departmental computing device platforms, including the installation and testing of new software, operating systems, servers (which are computer program/programs that provide services to other computer programs (and their users) in the same or other computers), related utilities/services, and hardware products as well as the integration of new products and /or software release upgrades into the current environment. Analyze user needs in the computing device environment and recommend products and services that meet those needs. Ensure that the integrity of the computing environment is maintained in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Responsible for delivering, moving and installing computing devices and related software as well as device inventory.
The Executive Support LAN Administrator III is responsible for providing both immediate reactive support as well as predictive/proactive support for PC/Mac/LAN-based projects/applications that are used to deliver IT "white-glove" style services to the Homewood campus and C-Suite executives.
Prioritizes and performs work independently. Participates in segments of large projects. Independently leads small projects (for example planning and implementing movement of multiple workstations, or a department from one area to another involving inter-connected workstations, software, hardware and server updates). Device management complexity is typically at an advanced level. Demonstrate strong ability in technology and/or strong understanding of the business/clinical/education/research process and workflow. Work with clients and peers to define and determine needs and suggest solutions to requirements. Build and maintain relationships through positive interactions. Demonstrates ability to provide good customer service. Provides guidance and training to lower level employees. Tasks are complex (i.e., working with multiple types of devices, or integrated software over multiple devices, or software that affects a large number of customers).
The position's roles & interactions:
The Executive IT Administrator III will be responsible for client technology support for the Homewood community, including the Executive Offices, as well as other LANs currently supported by the Client Technology Solutions organization. The position is the primary point of contact for workstation and server support issues for contracted customers, and may serve as a liaison to other IT functional areas for issues that fall outside of the scope of Client Technology Solutions (CTS). CTS supported computers are typically Windows and Macintosh systems. The position will perform independent research into causes and remedies for technical support issues, and will also consult with peers within CTS or other IT functional areas as needed. The position is responsible for deploying new technology for customers (e.g., computers, mobile devices, software applications and updates, operating system and system management updates). Customers are asked to report a problem directly to the team. Requests for support or service may also come via email, telephone, text or instant messaging. The position will be responsible for informing customers of IT@JH and CTS standards, policies, and procedures where they apply to requests for service, technology purchases, supported software, and computer configuration. The position will also work on projects with other team members reporting to the IT Manager, as well as CTS-wide initiatives as required.
Specific systems, applications, projects for which the position is responsible:
The Executive Support LAN Administrator in this position will provide hardware and operating system support for Windows and Macintosh systems, both workstations and mobile devices, as well as providing support for other technologies. The position will provide support for the standard applications used within CTS, as well as troubleshooting and assistance with departmental specific applications used by CTS supported departments. Support may involve contact with application vendors or integrators. This position will use protocols, customer relation management tools as well as other resources to vigilantly survey the environment to anticipate and avoid issues as well as take advantage of new opportunities for our customers' benefit.
Scale/size of area, project and/or system supported:
There are approximately 100 executive customers on the Homewood Campus. The Executive IT Administrator III must equally support a mixed Mac and PC environment in the enterprise. The position supports customers in a high-pressure environment with tight deadlines and must be available after-hours (24x7) on a rotational basis. Ideally, the incumbent will possess a broad set of skills, strong customer service skills and ability to collaborate to achieve results. This individual must be well-rounded in many IT disciplines (networking, security, messaging, AV, management tools, remote support, directory services, computer support) to possess enough of a knowledge base to be effective in both responding to customer outage situations as well as the ability to communicate effectively with subject matter experts from these areas. It is paramount that issue resolution occurs quickly and efficiently. This incumbent is also encouraged to pursue appropriate on-the-job or formal training opportunities to remain current of technology appropriate to job functions. The position must also participate in institutional IT initiatives.
The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
ANALYSIS and DESIGN
1. Analyze and document customer needs in the computing device environment by meeting with the customer to evaluate business problems and to recommend solutions for complex problems. Develop and document implementation plans.
2. Plan, lead and implement: installation of network operating systems, cabling, servers and client hardware; migration of files, data, and applications from other systems to the device environment; client hardware moves; and creation or acquisition of programs and other user interfaces by working with technical peers and customers to deliver quality solutions to the customers and the environment.
3. Evaluate and recommend vendor software packages and hardware by investigating tools available in the industry to support the customers and the current environment.
4. Create software utilities for device management such as printer setup utilities, font downloading utilities and batch files and for automated installation of software on client devices by identifying and acquiring appropriate tools to improve total cost of ownership and customer service.
5. Establish device management procedures and standards such as access methods and time, security validation checks, and documentation by working with team members to ensure conformance with information system and organization objectives.
INSTALL, CONFIGURE, MAINTAIN
6. Deliver, move, and install all computing devices and related software including client devices, Web servers, file and application servers, peripherals, operating systems, standard software and vendor software, accordingly with industry standards and procedures, to provide equipment and service to the customers and to the environment.
7. Manage computing device life-cycle by maintaining device and software inventories, by performing preventive maintenance accordingly with industry standards, and by repairing and replacing equipment as needed to deliver service to the customers. Respond to and resolve alerts on servers, devices, storage utilization, and directory service health and device performance by using appropriate tools to provide stable performance to the customers.
8. Create, schedule, monitor, and validate quality of backups, accordingly with industry standards and procedures, to ensure that recovery is possible in the event of equipment or software failure. Restore files as needed.
9. Develop and maintain disaster recovery plans and documentation for local departmental equipment by following department standards to provide environment stability to the customers. Interface with customer by meeting with them to support Business Continuity plan. Participate in organization wide disaster plans.
10. Execute test plans, create test problem reports and report on problem resolution by creating documentation and standards of the department to ensure stability of the environment for the customers.
11. Create and maintain user accounts/groups in domain/directory structure including network shared files and applications by following documented procedures and standards to provide appropriate and authorized access to the environment.
12. Troubleshoot and resolve computing device hardware and software problems by following documentation, experience, and by using appropriate diagnostic tools to provide solutions to customers.
13. Follow procedures for reported problems by using the appropriate Help Desk software for problem recording and resolution to provide documentation of the problem and its resolution.
14. Keep current on supported technology to maintain knowledgebase and skills.
15. Develop, communicate and document department and/or organizational system updates, installations, etc. to appropriate staff.
16. Develop and /or review system, end user training, or support documentation as assigned for new, revised or existing systems to support both technical and non-technical customers.
17. Manage vendor relations by regular contact with vendors to solve application, operating system, hardware issues and by serving as liaison between the customer and software and/or hardware vendor to resolve technical problems.
18. Provide technical solutions in support of the customer needs in the use of PCs, software products and device operations by meeting with the customers/peers as needed.
19. Manage customer relationships by being an advocate for the customer and other IT groups to provide good service to the customer.
20. Complete projects and requests as assigned by meeting published Service Level Agreements and/or agreed to delivery dates to ensure customer satisfaction.
21. Work with other LAN Administrators and areas responsible for strategic computing device products by meeting with them on a regular basis to ensure that releases are kept current and that updates to servers and client devices are coordinated.
22. Follow up on all feedback from customers by promptly meeting with them to ensure customer satisfaction.
Required Education: Two years college course work. Additional experience can be substituted for education.
Required Experience: Five years related experience. Additional education can be substituted for experience.
Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits or 18 graduate degree credits = 1 year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college coursework may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Knowledge in the assigned IT environments.
Apple Certified Support Professional certification highly preferred; additional Apple certifications also desirable
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities (KSA's):
Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
Possesses sound documentation skills.
Ability to maintain confidentiality
Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
Specific physical requirements for the job:
Wear appropriate attire that matches the support situation.
Must sign non-disclosure form as the position may be exposed to sensitive, confidential and/or privileged information.
On call requirements:
24/7/365 – must be available at all times on rotational basis – generally 1 week on, 1 week off. Can adjust if and when necessary. Additional on-call pay for holidays. Team as always if help is needed. Executives typically wait for the next working day, unless critical.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Executive-IT-Administrator-III-MD-21218/496555900/
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency