Evening Classroom Media Support Specialist
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 35549
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 05-24-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
NOTE: This position must work 100% on-site at the main UCSC campus in Santa Cruz, CA.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is the campus innovation nexus that supports and amplifies the value of research, teaching, learning, and digital experiences at UC Santa Cruz. We are a group of diverse, enthusiastic people who produce extraordinary results that foster a campus climate where employees feel a sense of belonging.
Our guiding principles are integrity, client focus, teamwork, knowledge, and fulfillment. We are looking for people who are deeply curious, hard-working, ambitious, kind, and deeply committed to inclusive excellence.
We aspire to operate in an Agile and Lean fashion. Our goal is to continually improve our service quality, experience, and value to our constituents. We care deeply about creating a diverse, high performing organization through recruiting while developing highly talented, well-rounded, staff. We invest in career paths and career development, devoting a significant amount of resources to skill and professional development for our staff.
ITS promotes two areas for skill growth:
1. Developing generalizing specialists by focusing on technical depth and breadth
2. Growing service and product expertise
More information can be found at https://its.ucsc.edu
Under general supervision of the Classrooms Operations Manager, the Evening Classroom Media Support Specialist will perform the following duties:
- Maintain, test and clean classroom media systems.
- Act as work leader for student employees.
- Troubleshoot instructor media problems.
- Set up and operate media videography equipment for campus events.
- Run an automated test scoring system.
- Research, purchase and configure new media equipment.
- Create training materials and documentation.
- Train instructors and others on media equipment use.
- Maintain classroom equipment inventory.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $28.03 - $30.18/hour. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day, Evenings, Weekend
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: TX Union
Job Code Classification: 007359 (BUS TCHL SUPP ANL 2 TX)
Travel: Never or Rarely
40% - Classroom Media Support
- Maintain, test and clean the media and computing systems in all UCSC general assignment classrooms.
- Research, recommend, purchase inventory and configure media and computing equipment.
- Image and maintain classroom and checkout computers. Ensure computer operating system updates, security updates and application updates are installed on a regular basis.
- Maintain content in Instructional Spaces & Media Technology (ISMT)'s database and ensure accuracy of equipment inventory.
- Work with campus Surplus department to dispose of outdated classroom equipment on a regular basis.
- Serves as backup to other ISMT staff.
20% - Training, supervision and documentation
- Train instructors, staff, students and ISMT staff and student employees on use of classroom and portable media equipment and best practices for use of that equipment for instruction including lecture, active learning and distance education.
- Act as work leader for student employees who support evening classes and events and maintain classroom equipment. Train and monitor student employees. Hire, schedule and perform other student supervision tasks in collaboration with other ISMT staff.
- Create training materials, documentation and web content for classroom and portable media equipment and processes.
- Research current developments in media equipment and best practice of that equipment for instruction. Assess and recommend improvements to classroom media equipment based on that research and discussion with faculty and ISMT staff.
- Set up, operate and train department staff and student employees on the use and troubleshooting of a wide range of media equipment including but no limited to: data projectors, media switching systems, sound systems, soft codec videoconferencing systems, wireless and wired laptop connections, complex multi-screen media systems designed for active learning, videoconferencing systems, wireless and wired laptop connections, complex multi-screen media systems designed for active learning, video live streaming systems, 35mm slide and 16mm film projectors.
20% - Troubleshoot Classroom Media Problems
- Troubleshoot instructor media equipment problems.
- Work with Disability Resource Center (DRC) staff to ensure that accommodation services provided in collaboration between ISMT and the DRC meet the needs of UCSC students reliably.
10% - Special Events Media Support
- Set up and operate portable media equipment for campus events and classes working closely with event staff including senior campus administrators, faculty and staff.
- Video record and live streams campus events.
5% - Test Scoring Support
- Provides test scanning and scoring services to instructors.
5% - Other Duties as Required
- All ISMT staff are responsible for the administrative tasks identified below.
- Acquisition of goods and services (including selection of equipment or supplies based on technical specifications and/or needs, selecting a vendor).
- Requesting approval for staff training and development and completing relevant travel documents.
- Complete personal and employee time sheets.
- Verifying receipt of goods ordered and completes appropriate documents related to Equipment Inventory and Warranties.
ITS Security Statement
Information Technology positions are responsible for the security of UC Institutional Information and IT Resources. The incumbent is required to follow all applicable information security policies, procedures, and standards to maintain minimum standards of information security for data, systems and applications. Supervisors are responsible for making sure their staff have appropriate security skills and qualifications, and complete all appropriate and required security training.
- Experience setting up and troubleshooting a wide range of media equipment including data/video projectors, sound systems, film projectors and slide projectors.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing computer display and projection problems.
- Experience instructing non-technical personnel in the use of complex computer and media systems.
- Experience supervising student employees or others.
- Experience in working with the public in a service environment.
- Managerial skills, including demonstrated ability to plan large projects, set timelines, assign tasks, handle details.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, including the ability to work with service managers, end-users and other technical staff to determine system needs.
- Experience communicating with a diverse population of instructors, students and staff at a high professional level.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing Macintosh and Windows hardware and software problems.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear documentation.
- Demonstrated skill in researching and implementing solutions to meet specialized media and computing needs.
- Demonstrated technical skill in configuration, maintenance, trouble-shooting and repair of computer workstations including a wide variety of computer hardware, operating systems, peripherals and network configurations.
- Ability to give oral presentations to groups whose technical skill levels may vary widely.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing network problems at the workstation level on Macintosh and Windows platforms.
- Experience analyzing user needs and designing computer and media systems based on those needs.
- Experience creating web pages.
- Experience installing and configuring Macintosh and Windows computers.
- Experience configuring and trouble-shooting a wide variety of computer peripherals.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Agile Certification.
- Lean / Six Sigma Certification.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- Must possess a valid license to drive in the state of California.
- Ability to work long periods of time at a computer with or without accommodation.
- Incumbent may be required to work nights, weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to carry equipment weighing up to 25 pounds with or without accommodation.
- Ability to travel to multiple work locations on and off campus.
- Ability to complete various compliance and job-related training as directed.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency