This ad is expired.
The Application Platforms Team in Infrastructure, a unit of Penn State IT, is looking for a highly motivated and technically strong DevOps Engineer with a passion for providing professional customer service and operational excellence. The location of this position is flexible and can operate fully remote within the United States, fully in-person at our University Park Campus, or in a hybrid model of both in-person and remote. Standard working hours are in the eastern time zone.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with your application.
The ideal candidate will work as a member of our Application Platforms team in support of enterprise application hosting infrastructure for university-wide IT systems and services.
- In collaboration with team members and partner units, build and extend Penn State IT's orchestrated container management service for hosting enterprise applications
- Provide systems administration (Installation, configuration, upgrading, maintaining, and troubleshooting) of clustered Kubernetes deployments running on Linux operating systems
- Support software development teams to leverage the container service to deploy their applications
- Provide systems integration expertise during the design/development phase to integrate cloud platforms
- Evaluate, test, and deploy enabling technologies (CNCF) that further innovate the orchestrated container service
- Maintain mostly on-prem Virtual Machines (VMWare) and some cloud infrastructures (EKS, etc.)
- Ensure systems are performing as expected through metrics and monitoring
- Implement the latest IT and security best practices for modern infrastructure and software management (e.g., Infrastructure as Code, GitOps, containerization)
- Automate routine and repetitive tasks to streamline operations and create efficiencies
Education and Experience:
- This position will be filled at a level 3 or level 4, depending upon the successful candidate's competencies, education, and experience. Typically requires a Bachelor's Degree or higher plus 4 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience for a level 3. Additional experience and/or education and competencies are required for higher level jobs.
Additional responsibilities of a Level 4 include:
- Lead the evaluation and selection process of recommended technologies for the orchestrated container service for management's review and approval
- Architect and design the overall orchestrated container service offering for Penn State IT
- Provide technical expertise and input on SLA and OLA documents for the service
- In conjunction with the Office of Information Security, lead the investigation, planning and implementation of security scanning technologies for containerized application environments
- Be the lead technical liaison to other units' IT staff who will utilize the orchestrated container service offering to host their respective applications
- Evaluate the latest CNCF certified technologies to ensure the orchestrated container service offering stays in line with industry standards and for continuous improvements and efficiencies for hosting enterprise-wide applications
- Provide technical training and mentorship to staff
The desired knowledge, skills and behaviors for this position include:
- Collaborate with, and supporting, peer team members, partner units and customers
- Strong verbal and written (English) communication skills, including documentation for teams, knowledge base articles, and training of customers
- Be proactive in providing superior customer service to units and partners of the service
- Possess strong time-management and organizational skills
- Knowledge of ITIL service and change management processes and guidelines
- Knowledge of Service Level Agreements
- Knowledge or experience establishing and measuring Service Level Objectives, Service Level Indicators (SLOs/SLIs)
- Have a strong desire to analyze, diagnose, and address technical issues while being flexible, and maintaining critical thinking under pressure
- Have experience with production systems administration on Linux-based platforms
- Knowledge of continuous integration and continuous delivery/deployment pipelines
- Knowledge and fundamental experience with docker or similar container technologies
- Experience with version control systems (Git, SVN)
- Knowledge of configuration management tools and methods (Ansible, CFEngine, etc.)
- Experience working with Bash, Python, Perl, or other scripting languages
- Experience designing for performance, scale, and high availability
- Experience with configuration management tools (Ansible, CFEngine, Puppet, etc.)
- Fundamental knowledge of networking (TCP/UDP ports, firewalls, DNS, ipv4/6, etc.)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools (Terraform, etc.) and methodologies (declarative vs imperative infrastructure)
- Knowledge or experience with service monitoring tools like Prometheus, Alertmanager, Nagios, Grafana
Additional preferred skills (training will be provided on the following if needed):
- Experience with GitOps workflows and tools
- Experience with DevOps Workflows and processes
- Strong experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems (ECS, Nomad, etc.)
- Experience with deploying best practices for container security
- Knowledge of log collection and analysis tools (Splunk, ELK, etc.)
- Experience with messaging systems (Apache ActiveMQ, etc.)
- Fundamental programming experience in GoLang, Java, Ruby, or other high-level language
Please note that the 7x24x365 availability of mission critical services for the University may require work outside regular work hours to solve operational issues and/or ensure proper functioning of services. This position will be expected to participate in an on-call program where each team member provides support coverage when other team members are on paid time off. A standard maintenance window is followed.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusive excellence that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusive excellence as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/DevOps-Engineer_REQ_0000020391-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency