Chief Information Officer
Northeastern Illinois University
Northeastern Illinois University, located in Chicago, Illinois, invites applications for the position of Chief Information Officer of University Technology Services.
In this role you will:
The Chief Information Officer of Technology Services provides vision and leadership regarding University technology, and directs Technology Services operations. Supervises Unit Leaders that are directly responsible for: Customer and User Services (Service Desk, Training, Media Services, Telecommunications, Student and Client Computing); Project Management Office (shares reporting to VP for Finance and Administration), ERP and Academic and Administrative Applications); Network Infrastructure and Systems Management; and Information Security Officer. The Chief Information Officer of Technology Services leads the planning, execution and deployment of technological resources, aligned with the institutional mission, vision, and values, fully communicating with University constituencies to meet the academic and administrative technology needs.
The University is making a very significant investment to upgrade the core infrastructure, implement new security layers, and install proactive management and monitoring tools. The new Chief Information Officer will oversee these initiatives providing leadership and strategy throughout the implementations.
- Plan, organize and direct the operations and administration of University Technology Services by establishing departmental goals and objectives.
- Lead the review of current systems with a view towards future needs and possibilities.
- Assure alignment of technology infrastructure and services, current and future, with University strategic goals and needs.
- Mentor, supervise and evaluate staff; interview and select employees; and arrange for appropriate training of technology staff.
- Interpret and ensure compliance with Federal and State laws, University regulations and policies, including submission of required reports and active responses to any audit findings. Work with the Information Security Officer and Unit Leaders to meet all state audit, compliance, and insurance requirements.
- Establish and maintain an atmosphere of innovation and creativity so that University Technology Services is continually assessing and adopting appropriate technologies to meet University needs.
- Ensure that faculty are provided with the ability to request, review and analyze classroom applications in coordination with technology implementation and support groups.
- Oversee University data and cyber security in a manner to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, policies, insurance, and audit findings.
- Develop and prepare the annual departmental budget to meet anticipated expenditures, in cooperation with Technology Services directors and business manager; analyze and review financial data; and control and authorize expenditures in accordance with established limitations.
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of narrative and statistical reports, records and files related to assigned activities and personnel.
- Lead University teams and the technology governance structure, including the Faculty Council on Technology and the Center for Teaching and Learning to determine requirements for new applications and modifications to existing information technology systems; evaluate software and hardware products; prepare specifications for computer systems, applications, products and services.
- Maintain pace with new technologies and provide leadership and assistance to the University community with technology related issues resulting in continuous improvement.
- Represent the University externally as appropriate in IT matters and in cooperation with appropriate external organizations.
- Improve ITSM requests, tracking and reporting and implement asset, change and problem management.
- Examine, evaluate and recommend core student, administrative, and management application solutions for the University.
- Communicate with other administrators, personnel and vendors to coordinate activities and programs.
- Communicate regularly with all University groups and departments, staff, faculty and student, in order to provide services and service levels that meet needs and expectations.
- Resolve issues and conflicts among administrative systems to accomplish the exchange of information across platforms.
- Provide technical oversight for all areas of Technology Services.
- With input from the Vice President for Finance and Administration, coordinate University computing and network resources to support academic and student support programs while ensuring system capacity to meet instructional technology needs.
- Ensure the network infrastructure meets 24x7 operational requirements, provides for appropriate and timely disaster recovery, and ensures business continuity.
- Direct the implementation of systemic and comprehensive key performance indicators to ensure continuous improvement and the effective use of Technology Services staff and financial resources.
About Northeastern Illinois University:
Northeaster's Main Campus is located on 67 acres in a residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago with additional locations in the metropolitan area: The Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies and El Centro. Northeastern also is a founding member of the University Center of Lake County consortium campus in suburban Lake County, north of Chicago.
Graduate degree in information technology, business systems, organizational leadership, or a related discipline, with at least 10 years of experience in the technology field and five years of successful senior administrative leadership in information technology organization or systems. Senior leadership role in higher education or complex organization responsible for network operations, applications development, client services, information security and project management and demonstrated success in coordinating activities between groups; ability to articulate and implement a vision for information technology and strategy in how to achieve the vision; evidence of the skills and commitment to provide effective leadership in the coordination, development and use of information management technology; excellent oral and written communication skills; and strong interpersonal and collaboration skills, including the ability to work with a highly diverse staff and user population.
Background and experience with ERP applications, general knowledge and experience with enterprise telecommunication systems, organizations having multiple locations, digitization of manual processes, and a record of participation in relevant professional associations. Steady growth from a technical to a management role. Experience in institutions of higher education.
"H-1B Visa sponsorship for qualified applicants will be considered on a case by case basis"
(This position requires a background check.)
Salary: $160,000 -$170,000
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, sick and vacation days, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System. This is a full-time, continuing position.
Deadline: Review of applications begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
To Apply: Applicants are expected to respond based upon the entire job description.
You must submit the following online forms (see links below) and send the remaining documents to:
Email: with the job title in the subject line
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for this position;
- Current Curriculum Vitae;
- Three (3) professional references;
- Employment Application;
- Statement of Annuitant Status; and
- Affirmative Action Form.
Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts for all earned degrees will be required of candidates selected for final interviews.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University positions are contingent upon the University's receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency