Assistant Director of Data Analytics and Reporting
Penn State Outreach & Online Education has an exciting job opportunity for a bright, self-motivated individual who is interested in providing leadership and management in a collaborative, productive, and diverse team environment as an Assistant Director. Outreach Analytics and Reporting (OAR) supports Outreach and Online Education (OO&E) by leveraging diverse expertise to collaboratively and responsibly provide data insights that inform decisions and influence actions benefiting students and improving the organization. The team serves as the primary source of operational student reporting and institutional research for the World Campus at Penn State University.
Reporting to the Director, and as a part of a leadership team, the Assistant Director will manage a unit of professional staff in the areas of data analysis, data visualization, data governance, data automation, user acceptance testing, process improvement, and technology system usage. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience developing solutions and utilizing technology to help turn data into knowledge for a wide variety of audiences, as well as strong coaching and mentoring skills to encourage staff growth and build a sense of commitment and community within the team. We seek candidates who can demonstrate an ability to advance Outreach's diversity initiative.
The Assistant Director will:
- Supervise and provide ongoing mentoring to a team of two Data Analyst & Reporting Consultants and a Business Analyst, including coordination of a diverse workload across this staff that includes ad-hoc and recurring reporting, dashboard development, automation project management, monitoring data availability and integrity of data systems, and management of technology systems and processes related to project and ticket management.
- Assist with management of data request fulfillment, including the intake process, assignment of work to staff across the entire team, and comprehensive review to ensure accuracy and timely delivery of hundreds of reports each year.
- Serve as the primary liaison between OAR and Outreach Information Technology (OIT) to identify and prioritize support for data systems related to the work of the team including data availability and quality improvement, automation requirement gathering, data issue resolution, user acceptance testing, and dashboard creation/maintenance in an Oracle business intelligence data system.
- Prepare reports and dashboards that present complex data analyses to assist key stakeholders in making decisions.
- Utilize project management skills within a collaborative team environment in support of complex data analytical and automation projects.
- Ensure adherence to data governance best practices and compliance with policies and procedures for handling University data.
- Serve as a representative of the team on OO&E or University committees related to data technology solutions, data governance, data security and privacy, and implementation of data solutions.
- Foster an inclusive and supportive work environment for the entire team.Support staff in developing and reaching their goals while maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- Experience working with large, complex data sets retrieved from a data repository.
- Advanced proficiency in query writing using SQL or Microsoft Access, and Excel skills (v-lookup, pivot tables, charts, graphs and macros).
- Experience using visualization software (e.g., PowerBI, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition).
- Knowledge of Penn State systems (PeopleSoft - LionPath, Canvas, Starfish) and Outreach & Online systems (Workfront, Campus Nexus) and Penn State World Campus applicant and student reporting is preferred.
- Knowledge of business analyst and project management skills such as needs gathering, process mapping, project planning, status updates, and planning for operational management is preferred.
- Previous supervision experience including establishing clear expectations and providing frequent feedback on work performance is preferred.
Competencies in the following areas will be required: strong leadership and management skills; best practices related to institutional research, surveys, and evaluation/program assessment, dashboard development and systems applications; high degree of accountability; quantitative and analytical skills; proven attention to detail and problem-solving skills; effective organization and project management skills to meet multiple deadlines and attain results, creativity and innovation; excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong interpersonal skills and high degree of emotional intelligence; providing constructive feedback, staff mentorship and coaching; commitment to fostering diversity and inclusion.
Typically requires a Master's degree or higher plus three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience for a level 4.
A remote working arrangement may be considered for this position if requirements are met.
Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting how your work experience and background fit the qualifications for this position.
The Pennsylvania State University is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
Apply online at https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Staff/job/University-Park-Campus/Assistant-Director--Outreach-Analytics-and-Reporting_REQ_0000014501-1
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS: For more about safety at Penn State, and to review the Annual Security Report which contains information about crime statistics and other safety and security matters, please go to http://www.police.psu.edu/clery/, which will also provide you with detail on how to request a hard copy of the Annual Security Report.
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency