This ad is expired.
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Job Profile Title
Application Developer C
Job Description Summary
The Application Developer works on digital library projects, creating software for repository systems, web platforms, discovery tools, and business intelligence. The projects include new and existing web applications that serve thousands of users per day with varying levels of research experience and a wide variety of information and research needs.
Project work is designed and executed in teams comprised of software engineers, web specialists, a UX Researcher/Designer, subject matter experts, and operations staff that emphasize collaboration and creative problem solving across a range of disciplines. The position reports to the Director of Application Development and supports a wide range of computing services that sustain daily web-based operations and facilitate teaching, learning, and research efforts of the University. Digital library development makes use of a full range of skills, including coding, technical architectures, application specifications, database design, digital accessibility, and workflow analysis. The Developer contributes to testing, quality assurance, and the life cycle management of library applications.
***We will consider non-local candidates to work fully remote for this position. If the successful candidate lives in the Philadelphia area, they would work according to the university's current flextime policies.***
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and deploy digital library applications to support teaching, learning, and research at the University.
- Support optimal operation in collaboration with operations staff of software, user interface, databases, indexes, and other elements of the Libraries' digital library architecture.
- Test web site functionality and review code submitted by peers across the department.
- Implement and apply reusable web interface design patterns in collaboration with web specialists and UX Researcher/Designer.
- Gather and analyze logs and web analytics data.
- Document systems, workflows, and development practices.
- Maintain current awareness of trends and tools for front-end development in the technical and library professional communities.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- 2 to 3 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated experience with a programming language, preferably Ruby, PHP, or Java.
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3.
- Proficient understanding of code collaboration tools and processes, including Git, testing frameworks, and continuous integration.
- Motivation to stay abreast of current coding practices and make continuous improvements on work.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple concurrent projects; use time management, prioritization skills, and independent judgment.
- Must possess strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Bachelor's Degree.
A Cover Letter and Resume/CV are required to be considered for this position. Please upload your Cover Letter where it asks you to upload your Resume/CV; multiple documents are allowed.
Budgeted Pay Range:
$65,000 -- $75,000 commensurate with education and experience.
Job Location - City, State
Hybrid Eligible - This position is eligible for a hybrid work schedule with a work week divided between working onsite and working remotely. Remote Eligible - This position is eligible for a fully remote schedule with all work performed remotely. (Note: Only salaried (i.e., exempt), non-temporary positions are eligible for remote work outside the tri-state area (Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.)
Department / School
$51,824.00 - $109,535.33
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/Van-Pelt-Library/Application-Developer_JR00055453
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-df7a057a1e767d4b8def297cd45da54b